Monday, February 25, 2013

Learner autonomy and one-computer classroom - Week 7 reflection

The topics in the past two weeks have been very interesting for me, as both of them highly reflect what I experience in Indonesia. Teaching large classes, though sometimes dreadful for most teachers, is actually as beneficial as teaching smaller ones; it is highly dependant on how teachers approach and engage this matter, especially through the employment of technology.

Nevertheless, sometimes limitation of technology, which in this week's context is the availability of computer, makes us wonder whether it is still possible to carry out teaching and produce students' learning results as high as possible?

I feel very fortunate to be part of this week's discussion as I am reminded that there is a very detrimental factor that must be considered in carrying out a teaching plan, especially to those related to large classes: learners' autonomy.

As I have expressed before, Indonesian still face cases in which teachers are faced by the obligation to teach a large number of students packed in a single class with very limited technology available.
With this obstacle on hand, we need to be able get around and maximize our students' learning experience, by guiding them to be autonomous, although many teachers still struggle to embrace this concept. As for my case that I want my students to improve their grammar and vocabulary ability, I hope I can maximize their interest and guide their autonomy to reach that goal.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bobby,

    You've done a wonderful job of critically thinking about how the weekly topics and materials apply to your context. It gives me great pleasure to know that you have found the last couple of weeks to be particularly insightful.

    Thanks for sharing a well-written, succinct reflection of week 7!

    Best,
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete